Sunday, July 15, 2007

Finally I am back (whew)

Well finally there is some stability back in my life. Like Casey, I had a family emergency from two weeks ago until...well...just about now. So, after a hiatus in Arlington, I am back. And I am packing some serious heat


There is my new (or should I say old) equipment from the far away land of Athens, Greece. Thanks a lot, Greek dude with lots of film equipment!

Also in the midst of chaos last week, I managed to catch an interview with Glen Shenk of Video Post and Transfer. After talking with him for roughly an hour and a half, he allowed me access into their facilities, which chemically treat and process film for projects (both corporate and student) in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. On the side, he says, they sell film stock. But this was their pride and joy.

Walking into the treatment lab, I felt like I was walking into one of those rooms that housed a 1943 IBM machine. You know, one of those computers that took an entire room? Yeah, you do. Thousands of feet of footage lined each row of the assembly line, each frame dipped in various chemicals stored on the floor below. All of this is delicate process, considering that each reel is the original. You make one screw up and...well...it's gone forever.

Mr. Shenk's opinion on the future of film was positive, complying with Enticknap's theory that the number of manuals and individuals who've mastered filmmaking as an industrial and mechanical skill is much higher than that of digital video. Glen noted that, particularly with HD technology, the number of skilled workers with these devices is still relatively small compared with film, and therefore the price of their skills increases dramatically.

Anyway, he is preparing five 100' rolls of usable footage that I will pick up next week. Also at our second meeting, he'll go through the mechanics of my camera with me and provide insider hints and pointers as well. Basically, as Brett pointed out to me a number of weeks ago, I owe you big on this one, Prof.

More later on this week

2 comments:

Brett Boessen said...

Great news again! I was worried I wouldn't be able to give you the right kind of help on loading and shooting with the Bolex, so I'm glad Glen is willing to do this for you too (he must really think you're going to stick with film once you've seen the results!).

So glad you'll be shooting some time soon. Have you worked out a new quote for the film-to-video transfer he's going to do for you? And is he still going to split your 400 foot roll for you?

duvalmaclin said...

this camera stuff sounds cool...wanna teach me??